View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #13
1930-Pickup

Default Re: Fuel Valve Leak Around Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
I use a product called fuel lube for gasoline applications on my airplane.

Jim
Jim-

That products' Technical Data Sheet says that it passes the requirements of FTM-5414 (in gasoline, and in ethanol & water, 50/50). I have not read that spec in detail.

Results indicate there was no visual deterioration for this product in gasoline, or in ethanol/water. The "pass/fail" results are for visual inspections only.

Also, there was no test for a gasoline/ethanol combination, probably because Av-Gas doesn't contain ethanol (I hope that's still true!). We don't want our airplanes rotting or falling to pieces. I guess the government considers it okay for our cars though

During my New Fuel Shut Off Valve development project, I've been doing some research on a few viscous sealants. All that I've tested so far were applied onto some cleaned metal surfaces (no assembly), air cured for a day, then soaked in automotive gasoline. All the sealants just dissolved.

If I was your A&P, I would encourage you to keep an eye on those fuel seals periodically. As a good pilot, I know you would do that anyway as part of your pre-flight.