View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #27
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Having Fun With it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
If the oil drains out good, and there’s no sludge in there, I wouldn’t pull the pan. I would start it and then if you hear any noise down there then you can do it. You’re not going to hurt the babbit if it’s knocking a little bit. It’s a lot of work adjusting bearings with the engine in place.

Depends on your abilities/personality/time and money available, and condition of the A.

My truck was probably worst case. 50 years in storage in out buildings. Took the common advice I got, said to get it running and see what goes wrong and then fix.

Wish I had have someone completely go through it, last 6 years have been dealing with issues as they crop up.

Was told to just keep running new oil to clean out the sludge - so much sludge was in it that it ended up blocking the oil screen, radiator and block partially plugged up with rust/etc. and had an undersized 2 row radiator and kept overheating above 25 mph, water pump bearing went bad/froze, distributor bushings bad, generator went bad - bearings, etc., etc.. Bad head gasket, head rusted to block outside-between the block/head- to some studs. Some incorrect head studs - Latest was cracked rod cap causing a knock that had been cracked previous to our owning it, cap had been over torqued, had motor rebuilt because the cap cause major wear issue in that cylinder. the list goes on.

So you can be thorough and know the condition of the vehicle and be somewhat confident it is reliable. Or you can fix things as they crop up. If symptoms appear, investigate/identify/decide if it needs attention. I recommend you don't procrastinate without knowing the cause.

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 11-29-2019 at 09:40 PM.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote