View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 03:47 PM   #1113
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Folks,
A friend was over and we were looking at the passengers side door on the 32. Several things:
The rust out in the bottom center and up about 5 inches in the center. Also the lower hinge area of the door has several cracks, allowing that area to be a little weak too.

The question is. If I take this door off to work on this outside rust area, it will probably never look like the original patina on the door again. I can almost see it in a primer for the lower portion.
Also I dont do much of this work and could mess it up or warp the door panel. I can weld but this will need some care. Almost would need a 5 inch patch panel across the entire bottom. Also some of the underside of the door is rusted away.
I think I could improve the cracks at the hinge area. With cleaning and gently Mig welding the cracks.
So is it better to leave the exterior alone and repair the structural hinge area only?
I see Ecklers has 32 truck door patch panels for $70.00 per pair. Anyone use these? Fitment issues?
Comments and or suggestions are always welcome. Is this one of those leave it with the rust or attempt to fix that area which is the worst rust spot on the truck?? Thanks in advance. I am pretty sure comments will cover both the reasons on both sides of the fence!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-29-2022 at 04:18 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote