View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #35
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
I have used MMO and don't believe it does harm when used as directed and may do some good.

I've always wondered, however, how it can help lubricate the exhaust valve stem and guide (when used in the fuel). I can see that when it is drawn past the intake valve that it could coat part of the stem and help lube it. On the exhaust side, however, it is burned up by combustion before the exhaust valve opens.

Ideas?

Soot quality of the exhaust aides in exhaust valve lubrication. late model engines from the 70's used mechanical and vacuum advance to reduce emissions,and basically shortened valve life by providing a cleaner burn which reduced soot and deposits ultimately reducing particulate emissions ...old Volkswagen trick to extend head life is to run an early mechanical advance distributor on a later engine,it didn't keep the advance pegged during decel,allowing the soot to build and ultimately a cooler valve..with the model a engine having a potential issue with exhaust valve burning the MMO,if it cools the fuel burn rate and leaves a deposit,could help.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote