View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 07:20 AM   #10
aermotor

Default Re: 1929 tailpipe clamp picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-ob View Post
ERRR ? Read the first line in the Service Bulletins on p.327 regarding the tail pipe clamp....."To hold the muffler outlet pipe more rigidly and insure a tighter clamp on the pipe".

I've recently had more than enough 'get out & unders' attempting to install a quality 1928 -29 tail pipe clamp on a similar quality muffler. Spreading the clamp with a chisel will get the clamp in place but the instant the chisel is removed the clamp locks onto the tail pipe, NO moving or twisting.

Hopefully your 'experience' will vary ...#%&#$^%
I think the tech writer (or whatever they were called back then) had nothing better to do and got it wrong and on top of that I disagree with drilling extra holes in the frame. Common sense concerning metal expanding and contracting with heat IMO invalidates this Service bulletin. Service bulletins should be an improvement and I can't see what this improves other than a little Model A noise. There is too much weight on the long arm of the exhaust pipe and muffler to not cause eventual manifold to tailpipe connection and sagging problems without a rear support of some kind that is flexible not solid. SB Fig. 1139 page 550 indicates to me that tailpipe and manifold problems may be related and neither is really addressed with a suitable long term fix.

John

Last edited by aermotor; 10-25-2020 at 07:32 AM.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote