View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
Synchro909

Default Re: 1929 tailpipe clamp picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-Mo View Post
Well Bill, mine rattles too. And before reading this, it was on my list of things to do...tighten it up.
So is there anything that can be wrapped around the pipe inside clamp to quiet it down? Anyone found anything successful for this?
I was being driven nuts by the rattle back there so I decided to have a squizz at it early on in my A ownership. It was immediately obvious to me that if it were tight, it wouldn't allow the pipe to move as it expanded and would therefore contribute to the common problem of a bent exhaust manifold.
I used a longer bolt and put a spacer on it to stop the clamp even going close to closing. That left about a 3 mm around the pipe. I taped a layer of cling wrap to the pipe and held it central in the clamp with some pine wedges. I then filled the gap with silicone and let it cure. The silicone easily handles the modest temperatures reached back there but it does get hot enough to destroy the cling wrap. The pipe now slides silently in a sleeve of silicone.
I had to redo it after about 10,000 miles but the redo was no more than another piece of clingwrap (paper will do) and fresh silicone.
I've done that now on all of my As but I'm considering using a more modern "rubber" mount to hang the pipe on so it can move but not bounce about.
Obviously, my cars are drivers, not show cars