View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
patmanta

Unhappy Re: EAB Heads & their Piston Reliefs - Is this right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Should all be the same.
Stock dimension on NOS EAB head measures 2.975"
You will probably have to do an 'aluminum ball' check using the smallest dim. to check for clearance, if good, mill to match.
THANKS! That measurement will definitely come in handy. And now I know they are indeed supposed to be uniform and I am not crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Is this along one head or different measurements on two different heads? If it is left to right along one head it appears to be milled at an angle.
This is indeed one head and I was afraid that was the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
I looks like they get progressively larger front to back. I don't know what is involved with machining heads, but maybe they weren't held level and took more from the front.
Yes, this is looking to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I had to have one of the heads on my last build angle milled to make up for a bad previous decking the block had received. After a lot of measuring and checking, I determined that, although the deck was flat, it was .030" lower in the back than the front. I finally found a machinist who understood my problem and was able to mill the head a compensating amount. Decking the block was not an option because the short block was already assembled and the notorious thinness of flathead decks. If there is any interest, here's a link to a thread about it : https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228269. Beware, it is three pages long and there were some disagreements.

While this may not be the case in your particular situation, it did end up with me having a head milled more on one end than on the othere, so it CAN happen.
Yeah, it would seem someone either milled these wrong or milled them for someone who needed them cut at an angle. This is a real bummer for me because I do not have need of angle cut EAB heads so the money I spent on them is probably a loss now unless I have them cut level and have the domes and reliefs re-cut. It is probably cheaper and healthier to just have the rusty set of uncut heads I have in the shed cleaned up and put into service
patmanta is offline   Reply With Quote