View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 05:55 AM   #256
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Bill was both Clever and Cunning.

Bill Riley was an astute and enterprising fellow. He had the Australian agency and distribution rights to sell the popular Blanik glider.
Henry gave his Model T customers a choice of colours. There was black in addition to black etc etc. You know the story. Well Blanik did better. There was black and a cacky coloured pinky-red. It was a bit yuk. Black was popular and the cack red-pink coloured one not.
Now Bill had a problem. He had 3 sold. He had 3 cacky and only 2 black. Well Bill fixed that. He let it be widely known that when they were built and flight tested the ones that exceeded designed performance were painted red.
Well, as you might expect each of the customers insisted they had to have a red one. Problem solved.
No flies on Bill. It is said one needs to be out of bed early to beat a yank. I reckon you need to be out of bed even earlier to beat Bill. And such a likeable bloke.

Tomorrow I have a story on Bill and other local blokes here in Tocumwal. All about enterprise and initiative. The Blanik shot is from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blanik glider.jpg (17.6 KB, 9 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote