View Single Post
Old 10-15-2021, 08:27 PM   #1146
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Becoming trapped.

When I was younger my job was aerial mustering wild cattle in the Kimberly of WA as well as the NT. Traditionary mustering had been done and still continues by mustering teams on horseback of course. The riders are known as ringers. Another method was to trap cattle. This needed limited water that could be fenced off with a one way push gate to allow the bovines to enter and likewise a one way push gate for them to exit. When cattle became comfortable and a full yard could be achieved the exit gate would be closed and bingo you had a compound with trapped cattle. Cleanskin stock would be branded. Bulls along with the bullocks were sent straight to the abattoirs (slaughter house to the Americans) young bulls (known as mickeys) were cut and branded and released along with the calves and female cattle.
Now a change in species: from bovine to homo sapiens. For more than a year now Australian residence have been restricted in travel (commonly called lockdown) in an attempt to limit the spread of covid. People have been caught away from home including overseas and unable to return. Opinion has been mixed on these two things: limiting personal freedoms and whether it will be successful preventing the spread of covid. Because this is not a political forum I offer no opinion.
To go shopping in NSW where I live I need to wear a mask and to attend a restaurant or other public gathering place one needs to not only a mask but show proof of double vaccination, plus record your having been there, either electronically or by writing your data on a pad provided. As I don’t have a modern phone and don’t intend to purchase one so I write details. I don’t intend to be captured in the world of electronic junk, I have better priorities. I am currently spending my time gardening and planting daisies which to me is more important and more rewarding.
Several large supermarket chains and other retailers have asked that payment now be made by credit card so their staff don’t need to handle cash money. Not going there either.
Where is this world going? Well I know where. It’s leading to more personal public exposure for retail suppliers and those who harvest and sell personal data. And perhaps more seriously by government intruding into our lives with the biggest interest being the monitoring our money; they want a cashless society. This will allow them to collect more tax which gives them more cash to trash. It's not dissimilar to trapping cattle I have described in the first paragraph is it?

And who is the government being monitored by, not citizens but the UN on what we can do and cannot do, as indeed Britain was directed by the EU.
I can clearly see the advantage in living in a tiny remote town, and there are many in Australia. Americans reading this who also think a smaller town sounds appealing could try Slapout in Oklahoma. It’s tiny.
With more and more government control in our lives how do readers feel? Do tell me what you think. I won’t be offended if readers disagree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32236226.jpg (29.0 KB, 2 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-29-2021 at 02:45 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote