View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
PeterC

Default OT - Winter Coming - "Skeeching"

OT = "Off Topic" of Fords ...

As winter approaches and my 35 Coupe is tucked in for its winter slumber... for some reason I started to think of winters in the 50's on Long Island, NY. Back then snow was common ... lots of it! So the streets were lined with packed smooth snow .. in those days sand or salt was rarely applied.

Us kids would hide behind the snow banks at our driveway entrances and wait for a car to come by ... then we'd scoot out fast and low and latch on to the rear bumper for a ride down the block, our boots positions as short skis if you will .. we called it "Skeeching". It was a blast!

One skeech I recall was memorable ... I was alone and it was late - say 4PM and losing light. I saw my neighbors 53 Cadillac headed my way so I thought I'd catch that one last ride ... so just at the right moment I flung myself out and just barely caught the right rear of the big fat bumper! Perfect grip but too far to the right side of the car so my face was right in front of the exhaust pipe! To make matters worse ... I think he saw me because he sped up and while I was crouched down good and low .. I must have hit a rough spot and my feet went straight back from under me and now I'm on my belly ... nose squarely planted up to that exhaust pipe ... hanging on for dear life at speed - now my pants belt started to dig into the packed snow and immediately started packing snow down my pants and filling fast!

Well, about then I got the genius idea that maybe I should let go! I picked myself up to go home but found it difficult to walk - a combination of inhaling more than my fair share of carbon monoxide and my crotch packed full of ice cold snow! Ahh ... dem was the days!

Last edited by PeterC; 11-16-2020 at 09:02 PM.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote