View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 04:31 AM   #233
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The Excelsior Hotel Khartoum.

Do you remember my story of Sudan and the Excelsior Hotel? A multi story structure which was built by the British some decades before I was there and the scaffolding was 5x5 timber held together with clamps. It is quite possible the scaffolding had been there since the hotel was built and never disassembled.
I entered the Sudan in September ’77 and had several days stay in the hotel. On the third floor sat a telephone technician, on a little stool. He had wires out everywhere. What a mess. If I needed to call room 330 for example the reception gave me the number to dial. It could well be 123 and the next day it was changed. And that fellow seemed to work diligently all day.
My job finished about 4 days before Christmas and back to the Excelsior before departure. Here was the same fellow, on the same floor, at the same junction box, on the same stool doing the same thing. And one still needed to ask reception for the number to dial when needing room 330.
That was a good job for gaining exposure to another country and another culture. I was glad of that experience but don’t think I need a second exposure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-SUDAN 1977 1311.jpg (335.2 KB, 8 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 08-25-2018 at 09:16 AM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote