View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 12:02 AM   #19
RawhideKid
BANNED

Default Re: Stuck starter motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
And a related question: When I took the starter-motor off, I decided to take its front cover off to look inside (it was a dumb thing to do, because I don't know enough about electrics to identify any problems anyway). And when I tried to re-assemble it I got frustrated trying to spread the spring-loaded brushes apart far enough to slip them back onto the bronze thing that rotates inside them. I am sure there must be an easy way of doing this? Sorry, I don't know the correct name for the bronze thing that rotates.
The bronze area you are referring to is the "Commutator" located on the "Armature" which is the part the electronic pixies run through to turn the Bendix.

Now, there are tricks to getting the brushes spread wide enough to slip it back onto the commutator which usually depend on small pieces of wire and holding your tongue just right.

The way I always did it was to slide the armature a bit out of the end you took the plate off of and use cut coat hanger pieces to hold the brushes back enough to get the cap back on the armature shaft, then remove the wires and slide the whole thing back together.

You can make little right angle hooks, slide the brush back in the holder, slip the hook into the copper wire on the back of the brush and bend it over the edge of the end cap to hold it. Do not slide it through the spring as that may not hold the brush in the guide.

Last edited by RawhideKid; 05-28-2017 at 12:04 AM. Reason: spelling
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote