View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #11
Russ/40

Default Re: Seeping fuel tank at the column mount

I explored this issue at length, and for whatever reason, I could not even determine the proper alloy to use when resoldering. I agonized over this for some time. I had a very minor seep, that did not even drip. Mine is a driver, and since the problem was so minor, and the tank was out, I decided to go with the JB weld solution. I cleaned the area around the mount well down to bare metal. The mount was very solid with no movement. I roughed the metal a bit and applied the JB around the entire mount. I applied enough to allow for nicely shapeing the area after it set well. The area looks very good, and has shown no problem for a year now. I did install the '31 column support at the same time, so there is no stress on the area.

Now I understand this may not be the ideal way to have addressed the problem. As in many things in life it is a risk vs reward world in decision making. I fully respect the cut the tank open and repair solution, but at my age now, I accept it is not a perfect world, and I can live with less than perfection. Your expectations must dictate the solution you use. Many many folks have found the patch solution worked well for them. If I were a high point kind of guy, I would send it to Brent for the best possible solution. In my case the risk of failure was very small and is within my budget constraints.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote