View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Seeping fuel tank at the column mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc silva View Post
Thanks. I agree doing things right is the only way to go no matter what it is. I only want to do it once.

I have read the past threads on this problem fix. I didn't realize the bracket was soldered after it was riveted to the tank. I have a large electric soldering iron that I have used for working with heavy thickness material in the past. I will carefully take my tank off and turn it upside down and re-solder it. When I get in my car I purposely do not pull on the steering wheel to get in. I think that it has started to leak because of all the vibration it has been exposed to for all these years and this is just the time it decided to fail.
Marc, my experience has been that when there is a leak there, you will find the rivet holes have stress cracks radiating from the hole circle. The vibrations are what caused the solder to release. It is my opinion that the only way to keep it from leaking is to weld-up the rivet holes and re-drill them so you have a solid mount for the steering column. Installing a late 31 steering mount really isn't Restoring, -but really is Modifying.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote