View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
Kube

Default Re: 1940 Frame Interchangeability

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBF 30 View Post
I have read that 1935 -1940 passenger car frames are all identical. My question is, will a 1940 convertible car frame be interchangeable with a 1940 truck frame?

My 1940 convertible frame will require quite a lot of rust repair and I need to know what the full range of frames that I could use as a direct swap that would be a complete match with the original. I am aware that the truck does not have body mount brackets but don't know if the rest of the frame is the same as a car frame.

Thank you for your help!
You will need to add the four body mounts (two each side) to the side rails of the pickup truck frame. You will also need to add the two cowl braces (one each side) as well. The braces are bolted in and were there to offer more support at the cowl section for the more flexible convertible body.
The convertible frame does not look identical to the truck frame but if I am reading your post "between the lines" it doesn't appear that you care.
Other than the aforementioned differences, the frame will be a clean swap.

By the way, like you, I have read claims that all '35 - '40 frames are identical. Each time I read this I am left to wonder who made this poop up? Probably the same folks that believe in "alternative facts" continue to claim all these frames are identical. They are not. Most noticeably are the front cross members between the years and even at times, the models within the same year.
There are also NUMEROUS subtle differences between years that while perhaps arguably minute, make a difference to a serious restorer.

Last edited by Kube; 04-13-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote