View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Cool Hand Lurker

Default Re: Adjustable Drag Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop View Post
A couple years ago an article about how to make one by Wiley Higgins (sp) was in the MAFCA newsletter

This is what I could find

http://modelafordclub.co.nz/wp-conte...Box-Aug-11.pdf

I think this article is a bit misleading. Changing the length of the drag link is not the best way to set up the steering /alignment.

Here is a quote from the link:
[I]Aligning the Model A Gemmer Steering Gear for Straight Ahead Driving by Wiley Higgins; Cumming, GA
If your Model A is equipped with a Gemmer 2-tooth steering gear, the steering wheel should make a perfect “X” when you drive the Model A straight ahead. The spokes should not obstruct your view to the dash panel.
The Gemmer steering gear has about three turns lock to lock. A correctly adjusted Gemmer 2-tooth steering gear will have the tightest adjustment at center. “Center” is indicated when the steering wheel keyway is exactly on the top, or about 1 ½ turns from left or right lock.

You want to keep the wheel at the point of tightest adjustment. Changing the length of the drag link takes the wheel off center in relation to the steering gear. It should not be changed.
When you align the toe-in the steering wheel should first be placed in the center position. Then any adjustments to the tie rod should be made on both ends equally. Then when you drive down the road in the test drive, if the steering wheel is no longer centered you have to readjust the tie rod, not the drag link. This will ensure the tightest steering. Changing the length of the drag link is not a good idea.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote