View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #62
larrys40

Default Re: Is a lightened flywheel overrated? (I think so)

Brent, excellent topic... Here's my quick 2cents worth. I've driven and used both in my persnal engines and quite frankly I can't tell much difference, except that a stock flywheel definately enables the car to idle much more smoothly than one that is lightened. I think that was the intent of Ford to help give the engine it's smoothness, motion, and torque ( maybe I'm relating this wrong but then maybe not).

All things created equal in rebuilding engines it is no surprise that all engines do not run exactly the same. I always tell my customers these are like kids... as much as you want them to be the same they are not. As far as breaking crankshafts I don't think that's much of an issue with Model A Cranks.... after messing around with these for 35 years I've not personally heard of anyone I know or otherwise who "broke" a crank. There's lots of factors of that including metallurgy, abuse...etc

As I said... personally I can't tell a difference but I do think that the smoother running Model A, idler and otherwise will have the stock flywheel. Again, just my 2 cents worth. Isn't this a great hobby! so many great cars, so many great people!
Thx.
Larry S.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)