View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #48
Pete
BANNED

Default Re: Is a lightened flywheel overrated? (I think so)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
Oh really? It was tig welded at a reputable welding shop because I didn't have the equipment at that time. I migged the weights in place, then it was all preheated in an oven, tigged while hot & placed back into the oven to cool overnight.
You're entitled to your opinion Pete, although several people have commented to the contrary.
Your method was good and you will most likely never have any problems with them, BUT, the welding itself looks like an amateur did it.
I was a welding inspector in the aircraft industry at one time and I know what good welding looks like. Besides inconsistancies, you have undercut.
Another thing that is bad is mixing 2 different kinds of welding. Mig and tig, even if it is just tack welds. Mig wire is far different from tig filler rod in most cases. When you have to tig weld over mig tacks it can cause a hard spot that may become a stress riser.
By the way, there was a thread on tig welding on the HAMB awhile back and you can go there and see what good welding looks like.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote