View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #126
Texas Tom

Default Re: What is your collector car Pet Peeve?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I know that the "How much is that car worth?" question is annoying. But it's that question (sort of) that brought me into this hobby 17 years ago. My boss had bought himself a Model A coupe and could NOT stop talking about it. Yak! Yak! Yak! This went on for several weeks. Because he was the boss, I had to listen politely to all his stories. Even when he told the same ones five times.

One day I said, "Sounds like fun." He replied, "Why don't you go buy one for yourself?" I said I could never afford such an expensive toy. He asked how much I thought a restored Model A would cost. I had no clue and said, "I don't know...I guess $50 to $75 thousand or so...." I really had no clue whatsoever. He replied, "This may surprise you, but it's hard to spend more than $12,000 on a restored Model A." (Keep in mind, this was in the middle 1990s.)

I was truly shocked by what he told me. That discussion happened on a Thursday. The following Sunday my wife and I purchased our first Model A, a 1929 Town Sedan. Since then we've become 100% antique car people. We've owned nearly 20 Model A's and Flathead Fords. I've completely restored four of them. Our garage now holds five toy cars, all but one from the 1930s. All our vacations are given to touring in antique Fords. We belong to several car clubs.

Point here is that by providing a thoughtful answer to the question (What's that car worth?), you just might bring a newcomer into the hobby. It happened to me.

Final point: If asked that question today, I'd respond this way: "It all depends on mechanical and cosmetic condition. But with that said, there are lots of decent driveable Model A's around that can be bought for $12-$20 thousand. So go buy yourself some fun. You'll never regret it."
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote