View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #147
HarveyH

Default Re: Model A Huckster Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
BTW I emailed you some pictures of my bumper. Hope they help. If you need more, give me a note.
For those of you following along at home, I sent Fred an e-mail this morning asking about his rear bumper that he mentioned to another poster earlier in this thread. Fred was kind enough to respond with some high-quality pictures.

Most Hucksters that I've seen, including the Wagon Works plans, do not have a rear bumper. As much as I like the resulting "clean and uncluttered" appearance of the rear end, the harsh reality is that some kid will eventually back his Nissan into my parked Huck and splinter some wood. Not a pleasant thought!

As near as I can tell, I have two options: One is to install a "split" bumper as seen on most As. This type of rear bumper has an opening between the right and left mini-bumpers that is typically occupied by the car's spare tire or travel trunk. Unfortunately, we can't hang a tire or trunk on our Huck's tailgates/rear doors. Therefore, this type of bumper will protect the fenders but will barely protect the rear wood. Of course, there are some "filler bars" available for closing the gap between the mini-bumpers when a tire or trunk isn't mounted on a car but the resulting 3-section rear bumper looks a bit too complex.

The other option is to purchase a second front bumper and install it across the rear. This "full width" bumper will protect the entire rear very nicely but I wonder how many know-it-alls will insist on telling everyone that "Some idiot has put a front bumper on the BACK of his A"? I'm concerned that the court wouldn't approve of my response.

What to do, what to do? Your comments are solicited.

Harvey
1942 HD45 WLA
1970 BSA 650 Lightning

Last edited by HarveyH; 08-19-2013 at 09:02 PM.
HarveyH is offline   Reply With Quote