View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #187
Tom in SW VA

Default Re: Who Can Diagnose THIS Total Mystery? Win A Prize?

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;579471]Well I would start by making it happen all over again and at the moment that the symptoms arise, do a little diagnostic work. First off, "just won't go" means different things to different folks but to me it means the engine stops running. At that point I would immediately (without touching/fiddling with anything else) remove the coil wire and hold it about ¼" away from a good ground source while someone cranks the engine over. The evidence of the jumping spark will tell a lot. During this same time I would feel the carburetor bowl and the fuel line for a temperature reading. If either is excessively hot, I would find the reason why.

Personally I suspect it to be electrical like a worn/loose wire inside the distributor. Ironically, when something like this comes into my shop, I first start checking for areas where "McGuyvering" has taken place followed closely thereafter by looking for reproduction parts. I have seen repro terminal box screws come loose and short out against the firewall, and I have seen poor quality wiring harnesses have loose terminal ends do exactly as you stated. I have never seen a situation that could not be solved when enough time & prudent thought were given towards the problem.

I can personally attest to the fact that the problem could very well be the terminal box attachment to the firewall. Loose screws or the lack of insulation spacers can and will cause the car to stop running without notice. Just a thought.
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote