View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #186
Old182

Default Re: Who Can Diagnose THIS Total Mystery? Win A Prize?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The issue of vapor lock has come up several times in this thread. While I suppose it's possible, it's unlikely in this case. Here are a few tidbits of information to chew on: Gasoline is made up of about 200 different hydrocarbons that all boil at different temperatures. In a distillation flask, 10 volume % of most gasolines have boiled under 50 to 70*F and all must finish boiling at or before 437*F to meet ASTM D4814, the spec for gasoline in the U.S. Butanes and pentanes are added to gasolines for "front end" volatility (cold starts); butane boiling at 31*F, pentane at 97*F. From there heavier components are added until the gasoline composition is complete with most gasolines finishing at around 400*F (aviation and racing gasolines way below that). The point here is that you may see gasoline bubbling in a clear filter or fuel line, or you may hear it in the carburetor bowl, but that isn't an indication of vapor lock; it's just the light ends boiling. Once the engine is warm, it will run fine with the mid-range and higher boiling components (even though some light ends remain). No offense meant to those suggesting vapor lock. I don't have any data, but I think to boil off enough fuel to cause vapor lock you would have to see actual sustained fuel temperatures well over 325*F, maybe higher. May be possible. Another $0.02.
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote