View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #143
sgwilson904

Default Re: Who Can Diagnose THIS Total Mystery? Win A Prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
To: sgwilson904

Tuesday afternoon attitude check ???
First, H.L., I really appreciated your detailed test idea for proper ground. Today a club pal removed his distributor (known to be working well), we removed mine and replaced it with his (re-setting the timing).

We did notice lots of play in the shaft as we did this, so apparently a recent engine overhaul did not include replacement of the drive gear and related parts which should address too much play? I am getting those various drive gear parts but will meanwhile drive around to see how performance changes with this known-good distributor.

The problem, of course, is that it ran like a champ for 110 miles on a club tour last weekend before the dreaded curse returned, so who knows how far I should drive now to rest assured a good distributor is the answer to my problem. I can say in the 15 miles I drove today after the replacement, it SEEMED to run a slightly cooler and have slightly more power on an incline...but this could be psycho-somatic on MY part, as all of this has already made me crazy. <grin>

Also, when we closely examined MY distributor tat we removed, we noted the condenser wire attachment was SLIGHTLY askew. It is POSSIBLE (but we think not probable) it could have been close enough to cause an intermittent short.

Finally, when we removed the lower plate of mine, we noticed the curved metal piece has been bent at one time and poorly re-straightened. Again, we don't THINK this might have caused a problem but...???

Will drive more tomorrow and provide next update. Stay tuned.
sgwilson904 is offline   Reply With Quote