View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 09:19 AM   #24
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Decided to pull the motor/trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
.125 over will be a great runner.....fast on the highway.
That it does. Before, it ran nice at 40-45 MPH but would start to vibrate at 50 and vibrate something fierce over 50. Now, runs nice up to 55 (will go faster but I'm not interested in going faster) with very little vibration. By "very little" I don't mean smooth as butter like a modern car just that it doesn't act like it's going to shake itself to pieces. I still run it around 45 just to keep the RPM in what seems like a reasonable zone. It does have ONE thing that annoys me and that is valve ticking. Not sure what to make of it as I know we (a buddy of mine and me) set them at .012 as recommended. Being solid lifters this may be normal but I don't recall hearing it on other cars running posted online. Might have to recheck all my valve clearances. I don't have adjustable lifters so if I have to re-adjust them, it will be a PITA (ANOTHER head gasket ). Another issue is that the trans is leaking. Pretty sure it's from the tower gasket (and I use that term loosely). Gasket looked like it was made from writing paper. Will check that out today and if that is the issue, will go with silicone.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote