View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #262
[email protected]

Default Re: Model A Huckster Group

Hello All,
As some of you may recall, I sold my handmade 1928 Model A Ford Woody Huckster to Volo Car Museum in Volo, IL. a few years back. It took me 10 years of part time hobby construction to build this woody huckster truck from scratch just from my spare parts that I collected from 30 years of attending swap meets. The Oak wood that was used to build the body was all from my own trees that I took down from my property and then planed into planks. It was similar to the Johnny Cash song,:One Piece at a Time as it had Model A parts from 1928 through 1933 (rear fenders). After I finished the woody truck build, it then took me two years of battles with the Illinois Secretary of State office bureaucracy to get a title and license for it.

Bob the salesman at Volo said that they had to sign a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) with a national marketing company and Volo was then not allowed to tell me who purchased the truck. He could only tell me that it was headed down to Tennessee and it was purchased by a “Major Distiller”. I was sad to see it go but financially I couldn’t say no to their offer. But since this truck was like part of the family, we spent two summers trekking to Tennessee looking for our baby by touring the Jack Daniels, George Dickel, and Ole Smoky distilleries.. I chased a lot of false leads looking for it but loved the trips as I learned a whole lot about Whiskey… Glad I finally found it as my liver probably could not take any more Tennessee Whiskey tours with the sampling of all of their product afterwards.

I finally found on the Internet a Chicago newspaper article of a local promotion party that occurred for I W Harper Bourbon in Chicago. It was mentioned that they had transported their 1928 Model A truck to Chicago for a Christmas gala held for their officials and distributors. In addition to this truck being the center piece of the party they gave the attendees toy models of this truck. I see that they have painted over the oak and put their I W Harper signage on it and added chrome beauty rings to the rims. Looks unchanged for the most part. I was also told that they removed the engine as a safety requirement for having it on display. This is a shame as it was a great running Model A engine that didn’t leak oil.

Here is some info I found on I W Harper which is owned by British Holding Company, Diageo that owns most of the large liquor brands:
The I.W. HARPER brand has taken a long and remarkable journey, with one important chapter of course being Prohibition. Vital to this era, and throughout whiskey's heyday, were the vehicles commonly used for transporting goods, including spirits. The I.W. HARPER 1928 Ford Model A, located at the Stitzel-Weller Distillery in Louisville, Kentucky, gives a nod to the brand's premium quality withstanding the test of time. The Bernheim Bros. distillery opened its doors in 1870 and thrived through Prohibition. The I.W. Harper namesake was born by 1872 and began producing a whiskey that would win Gold Medals throughout the late 1800s and early 1900s. . I.W. HARPER Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey 41-43% Alc/Vol. © 2017 I.W. HARPER Distilling Company, Tullahoma, TN.

I think I will now be planning a trip down to Louisville, KY to the I W Harper room at the Stitzel-Weller Distillery, 3860 Fitzgerald Road when it gets much warmer to visit my old friend. I am now looking as well for one of those toy trucks that were used at that promotion party which would be a nice keepsake for me….

Happy New Year,
Dave

I have also attached some before and after pictures.

My IW Harper Wiskey Huckster.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)