View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #120
RockHillWill

Default Re: I could not sit idle, have a new project

Another small step.

Finishing up the modifications required when I lowered the stock Model A radiator to fit under the hood line. Doing so was going to make the fan blades cut thru the upper radiator hose. The intent of this build was to get some metal shaping practice with aluminum panels and to do so as it might have been done by someone in the early 1930's, and I could not determine that electric 6-volt automotive fans were available during that time. That meant a mechanical solution and I chose to use a fan mounted to a 'jackshaft', made from another water pump, located more to the center of the radiator core, and make it belt driven. It is slightly offset to clear the standard Model A fan belt, making the full size Model A fan close to the modified lower radiator hose arrangement. Multiple 'steps' to avoid interference seems to have been accomplished. I made a three piece mounting bracket attaching to the water pump and the timing chain cover and welded it together. Then I machined the center out of a generator pulley and welded it to a standard water pump pulley that I machined the outer components off of. The tension for the jackshaft pulley is accomplished by changing the shims under the fan shaft bearings.

BobK1 010.jpg

BobK2 006.jpg

BobK2 054.jpg

SatSpeed 005.jpg

SatSpeed 007.jpg

SatSpeed 012.jpg

SatSpeed 017.jpg