Thread: My 1930 Model A
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #30
lucky_stripe_garage

Default Re: My 1930 Model A

Today has been productive, and slightly frustrating. Went and picked up a battery last night. Getting it installed required a longer ground strap since the posts are on opposite sides of the top.

I believe that Mike is correct in that the water neck is for a 28-29. Cutting the radiator hose to the correct length for a 30 made it too short for my car.

I pulled the plugs and the tops of the Pistons looked nice and clean. Poured some mystery oil in each cylinder and let that soak. When I pulled the oil plug it did have oil in it. It was surprisingly still pretty clear too. Refilled the oil. I was able to turn the engine over by hand easily. Tried to bump the starter and it didn't engage the flywheel. So that came off. Sprayed it down with some WD40 to clean off the grime and got the gear moving freely. Wiped it down and coated the shaft with a very light coating of the mystery oil to keep it clean. Re-installed and it's not engaging the engine.

Re-installed the spark plugs and had my daughter help me bump the starter again while I checked to make sure the distributor was producing a spark for all four cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucky_stripe_garage is offline   Reply With Quote