View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 04:02 PM   #378
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

More on John Lynch aka Mouse Hunter.

Well the Mouse was a clever bloke. He made numerous and excellent working model aeroplanes, a full size tail less glider, and mounted an engine on a metal glider. Americans call a glider a sailplane. He just built stuff all day long.
He flew a farmer to Brisbane to inspect a hot little racing plane that was for sale. The farmer declined the purchase, didn’t think it was worth the 20k asking price. Mouse offered 7k which was immediately accepted. He swapped it for a tiger moth which had a sliding canopy and converted it back to windscreen and sold it for 82k. The Mouse frequented country and remote bottle shops and bought old wine. Payed $12 per bottle for several cases of “Grange Hermitage” wine. Was invited to return it if not good. Sold it for $1800 per bottle. Clever at buying and selling shares and I guess had a tin arse too. Did exceptionally well in the dot.com era of 2000. He died and left his money to his brother but didn’t say where it was. A frantic search lasted for some days and there was talk on excavating parts of his property. It was located securely in the bank.
Back to building. The Melbourne festival "Moomba" runs a bird man competition. It’s a common event in many places the world over. Fools and serious people enter and it does get very funny. Some entrants are a little bit like Icarus who waxed feathers to his arms but the sun melted the was and Icarus fell back to earth. Johns entry was a glider. It had polystyrene ribs and spars and covered with that thin foodwrap we call cling wrap or glad wrap. He cleaned up the event and bought home several thousand dollars. He then sold the model he had made. If the Mouse dropped straw it would be gold by the time it hit the ground.
So that’s mouse hunter. When he died his body was cremated and ashes spread by aeroplane over his little farm. The pilot didn’t allow wind factor and John ended up on the roof of his shed and subsequently in the rain water tank.

Very few knew Mouse Hunter. I have good memories of him, the builder, the flyer and the hermit.

Copied from the internet. Wikipedia
$38,420 - Penfolds Grange Hermitage 1951: the most expensive Australian wine. The 1951 Penfolds Grange Hermitage is known to have only about 20 other bottles left in existence today. In May of 2004, a wine collector in Adelaide paid AUS$50,200 for a bottle at an Australian auction house

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-04-2018 at 10:40 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote