View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #18
JCHarvey

Default Re: Whistling sound when clutch is not engaged

Problem Solved! See solution at end of post.
Thanks for the advice on the troubleshooting. Here's what I did.

I didn't know if ronn meant it likes show tunes or doesn't so I changed the radio dial from Pink Floyd to Show Tunes. No change.

I pulled the inspection cover and found the TO bearing was not rotating with the clutch out so that was good and the sound just didn't seem like it was coming from that area.

Pulled the fan belt and determined the noise still present.

Tightened bolts on exhaust manifold and two bolts on carb to try and eliminate vacuum leak if there was one. They weren't loose but tightened up a little. Still had the noise.

Checked the fan belt pulley from the crankshaft and seemed to have clearance. Finally, sprayed a little WD-40 on the fan pulley and BINGO the noise ceased. So it was the fan belt pulley at the crankshaft rubbing. I loosened the castle nut about 1 turn and no more noise. I think the reason the noise was loudest with the clutch not engaged must have been engaging the clutch moved the engine just enough for the pulley to clear the cross member but also noticed as the engine ran longer the noise was present with and without the clutch engaged. Must have barely been touching so didn't take much movement for the sound to go away.

Thanks again for the help. I'm getting more confidence that it is actually possible to troubleshoot these things with a little help.
JCHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote