View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 08:52 PM   #17
langus480

Default Re: Front fender cracking out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
All metals fatigue over time and use. Their are ways to relieve stresses tuch as normalization or shot peeing after weld repairs but sheet metal takes more care to do that and especially if it is thin. It can be done though.

Another important part or relieving stress is to maintain the suspension in top condition. Worn or broken components don't help at all.

Coming from the Helicopter world, I recognize that cracks are a cause of something, and if the stresses can be mitigated then the focus of the crack no longer is necessary as they will not develop further.

However, being able to repair existing cracks is a whole matter entirely and that's the reason for the question.

obviously the fenders are prone to crack out, even by design of only a small support at the front, and no structure at the crown, I'm thinking that even a person sitting on the front of the fender or leaning on the front would induce enough stress to bend the metal crown warranting the structure to crack out somewhere.

My thoughts/ questions are, is there a way to strengthen the thin metal to prevent further cracking and strengthening the fenders at the same time?
langus480 is offline   Reply With Quote