View Single Post
Old 11-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #18
shew01

Default I’m wondering if my coil is going bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
When failing coil happened to me I felt a definite lack of power. The coil was hot to the touch and eventually I noticed that it got quite hot to the touch, burn fingers hot , and the oil began to leak out of it. Barely got the car home from a three block run that time. Another instance I had a foam fillled A(EApoxy) that I thought had an internal resistor. It did not and it also failed to last for a short drive of about three miles before there was a decided lack of power and a few miss fires. Next morning the car was cold and started right up and I took off for half a block. It quit running and the coil blew a plug out of the bottom of it (opposite end from the ht lead) and all the epoxy foam came out and ran down my fire wall. That one was my fault for not installing a resistor. They definitely will loose power as they heat and usually will work okay for a minute or two until they overheat. Just enough to get you a good walk from home when the car will die. If the coil is oil filled you can shake it by your ear and even I can hear the fluid sloshing around inside. If so mount it with the HT lead up and use longer wires to make it function. I'm told not all oil filled will fail, but most will. Originals were filled full with a tar like substance and don't mind being HT lead down.

My oil filled coil is definitely getting warm, but I don’t know if it’s “out of spec” (for lack of a better phrase) from a temperature perspective.

So far, I have not noticed a lack of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote