View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 06:18 PM   #24
Mac VP

Default Re: What happens to a transmission in for a rebuild

We were talking at the shop today and the choice of transmission candidates for this thread came up. I will explain that I chose this particular type for several reasons. Mainly, it’s the one transmission that shares the most common characteristics of the various early Ford transmissions that we rebuild. Its 3 speed gearset is virtually the same as most 1940-48 passenger car trannies......it has the large round bell and clutch shaft shared by the typical 1932-48 Ford three speed units of this era.....and the side cover and shifter forks are nearly the same as the 1940-48 side loaders. Then, we have the added benefit of the Borg Warner overdrive section to provide some benefit for the overdrive guys’ interest. So, this single model touches all the bases for this project.

I really don’t plan to spend any time on how you can modify this trans, or how it could be fitted to other vehicles beyond the 1949-50 Mercury cars. We’ll stay focused on the transmission itself and the rebuild techniques we use.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com

Last edited by Mac VP; 03-25-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote