Thread: Fuse
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 07:28 PM   #11
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
FWIW, with a fuse between the starter and the terminal box, I also put separate fuses in both the horn and lighting wires coming off the generator terminal.
Although a lot of good info here, I think only Kurt (post #2) addressed my question...

With the engine running, however, if the fuse blew, wouldn't the generator back feed everything including the ignition, horn, and lights? Wouldn't the engine continue to run and continue to feed the short?

From Kurt's reply (post #2) and the fact that two posters here also fuse the horn and lighting wires it appears that the one fuse between the starter and the terminal box does not protect a running engine.It also appears that even if all three fuses blew that the engine would continue to run and back feed a short in the terminal box or behind the dash.
I think (and again, I'm not electrical expert) that to actually protect a running engine, the fuse would have to be downstream of BOTH the battery AND the generator and all electrical devices would need to be downstream of that fuse. The way the A electrical system is designed the fuse cuts the battery as a source of power in the event of a short, but does not cut out the generator as a source of power.Even fusing the wire coming off the cut out to the horn and lights still does not protect those electrical devices between the generator and the single fuse at the starter.