Thread: Steel Roof?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Steel Roof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
My hobby is my Canadian built '31 160B Slant Windshield that I am in the process of renovating. It looks as if the cobra long grain roof kit has been replaced with a piece of steel sheet metal. The car has been in the family since '39 and as far as anyone can remember, the roof has been steel since then. Under the sheet metal roof is what looks like a layer of perished rubber sheeting and thereunder, as I think is standard, is some fibreglass insulation and chicken wire. I assume that the rubber sheeting was used for additional insulation from the elements and / or for support of the heavier steel roof.

The steel roof has been screwed onto the body with many little screws all the way round the roof edge making it difficult to revert back to the cobra long grain kit.

The wood, besides the header, looks like it has been protected from moisture pretty well over the years.

Has anyone ever come across something similar?
If I put the steel roof back, is there anything besides rubber sheeting that I could possibly use?
My coupe roof was replaced with a piece of sheet metal, when, I don't know and covered with the long grain rubber top for it to look original.
I don't know how waterproof it is but I'm sure I'll find out sometime this year.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)