View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 07:04 AM   #20
History

Default Re: How to get chrome spare tire cover onto the tire

What if (and this will get gasps) you cut the cover and just made sure the split was at the bottom of the tire in the well? It would be out of sight and any water that got in the cover would drain out, It’d sure be easier putting it on and off. Watched a video where the fellow has to air down his spare to even get it in his fender, seems like a lot of work so I’ll leave mine on the back of the car, obviously I don’t have a fender well for the spare.

Have you tried the new tire to see if it will even fit in the fender without the cover? If it won’t you’ll have to air it down to get it in the fender. If that’s the case you could remove part of the cover that goes in the fender and slip a rubber hose or something similar over the raw cut so it would look good, you’ll have the look you’re after and also protect the exposed area of the tire from the sun. If it’s an original cover then I’d probably not do that. Tell us what you wind up doing. Good luck with it!

I see now that smog tech beat me to the suggestion of cutting part of the cover off. ��

Last edited by History; 01-05-2023 at 07:52 AM.
History is offline   Reply With Quote