View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 12:13 AM   #14
Eagle43

Default Re: Overdrive Transmission in a 1952 F1

Thanks for the additional information. I just checked and the bell housing seems to fit so it must not be from a Lincoln. I couldn't try bolting it on because I still need to get the bottom housing off. I think I just need to find an 11 inch clutch plate with a 1" 10 spline center since the truck clutch plate has a bigger hole.. I think I can use the other truck clutch parts: pressure plate, throwout bearing, forks, etc. but I won't know for sure until I get things cleaned up. The seller warned me that he had had to get a special adapter plate machined since the car throwout is smaller than the truck throwout when he did his truck 20 years ago but I'm hoping to avoid having to do that. He also thought that I would need a smaller pilot bearing but I think with some polishing that will fit also. I measured the drive shaft and it looks like I just need a short 1 3/16" 16 spline yoke.
I've attached a couple of pages from the Repair Manual. The chart lists the vehicles in which this transmission was an option. You will notice that Canadian trucks were named after their GVW from 1948 to 1950. They then changed to the F1 designation for 1951/2.
The second page gives a description of how the overdrive works. Basically you have a regular 3 speed transmission with the overdrive unit bolted to the end. This is why the mounting bracket lines up with the crossmember like it's supposed to.
Tomorrow I plan to drive to a large swap meet about two hours away and hope to find some more things that I need such as a steering column and clutch pedal.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OD description.pdf (245.6 KB, 23 views)
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote