View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
wwirz

Default It was the Condenser

About two weeks ago I had to abort a Model A tour because my car was sputtering and just not driveable.
At the same time, I replaced the exhaust manifold and intake manifold gaskets with the copper shrouded gaskets. I also took the time to thoroughly clean the carburetor ( I mean spotless).
Re-assembled. Car had no power. Backfired. Sputtered. I checked for vacuum leaks, float height, float valve, junk in the gas tank, point gap, cleaned and gapped plugs, replaced broken point post....on and on. I decided to dial a friend.....
He said it sounded like the condenser. My reply was that it only had about 300 miles on it. He said try replacing it...if it is good put in the bag for a spare. Meanwhile I also read on this WEBSITE that due to a failing condenser our colleague had the same issue as myself.
Got home tonight. Took about 5 minutes to swap out condensers and whoopee!!! problem solved. an $8.00 part was making my A not road worthy for 2 weeks.
I learned a lot. If this happens again, I will start with the condenser.
Takeaways:
1. ALways have a spare condenser with you. This seems to be a weakness in the ignition system
2. Start with the easy fixes first, even though you may have just replaced the points, rotor, condenser, etc.

Tomorrow I am going with "Molly" on a beautiful Autumn tour with my Model A club. Thanks to this WEBSITE and help from my friend (Jim Morris) to figure this one out. I was stumped.
wwirz is online now   Reply With Quote