Thread: Spongy Brakes
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #18
gvgehrig

Default Re: Spongy Brakes

It's a highly modified Model A pickup; I call it my Johnny Cash car. I bought it like that. Some things were done great; some not so great, including the brakes. Here's some better data; today I'm able to get consistent results. I have three flex lines I can squeeze off: two in the front and one for both rear brakes. With all three lines pinched (no active wheel cylinders), the brake pedal travels towards the floor only 1/2". This is the "free play" in the system. The pedal will hold that position, there is no leakage in the MC. If I open the rear line, I get 4" of travel towards the floor. I do not have a way to close off only one of the rear wheels. If I close all wheels except the right front, I get 1" of travel. If I open the rear, keeping the right front open, I get 5" of travel. If I open the left front and close all other wheels, I get 1 1/2" of travel. If I open the left front and rear (closing only the right front), I get six inches of travel. This is at the floor. I can stop the car from rolling, but it will not lock the brakes. It appears to me, I need more fluid flow. If this is correct, the question then is just how much? And how do I get it? I have full travel on the MC piston with my pedal. If I could get each wheel working like the right front, I'd have complete stopping power at about 1/2 pedal. Thanks
gvgehrig is offline   Reply With Quote