View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #19
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Split Rim on 1958 Ford Mainline Ute

It's pretty clear to me based upon the photos of the damaged wheel, that it is an original 1949-1956 Ford 15 inch wheel and none of those wheels for cars had safety beads.
I have a pair of 15 inch wheels with the Ford bolt pattern that do have the safety bead, but they came off a 1970's full-size Ford car. Those wheels look completely different than the '49-56 wheels. I would bet there are a lot of people using them on their old Fords today that don't know they aren't the original wheels since the measurement from the outer face of the brake drum to the wheel beads is identical to the old wheels, thus they are interchangeable in the sense that you can achieve a good wheel alignment using them if you had to mix and match some of the '70's wheels with the original wheels.
Notice how the back face of the damaged wheel looks great (except for the damaged bead) in the top photos he posted, but in the photo above, the inside area of the bead appears to have major corrosion (probably from wire brushing during too many tire changes). It's un-avoidable unless you get new tires every time and have low-mileage commute's.
Once apon a time, I had all the wheels on the car and the Courier sandblasted, then acid-etched before primering hoping that the extra measure to prevent rust at the tire bead would protect the wheel from weakening due to corrosion. I had thought about epoxy-paint coating at least the bead area, but feared that it would chip during tire changes and cause problem with sealing the tire to the wheel. What can ya do ?
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote