View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 12:58 AM   #5
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Split Rim on 1958 Ford Mainline Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post
Radial tires? They can stress a rim due to increased lateral forces compared to the original bias ply tires. The rims were designed for bias ply tires. Use of radials usually doesn't cause an issue, but if the rim was weak in the split area that may be the cause.
But if you look at the picture, that's not a radial. It looks like an old 8.00 x 15 snow tire.
I have seen many of the '55/56 Ford wheels in various conditions and even the worst ones I have had in the past were never weak enough at that corner to split.
I've been running radials on my '55 car for over ten years mounted on the original wheels. The worst thing that ever happened was that a tire developed a small leak from turning a corner too fast and split the bead sealer so I had to de-mount the tire and re-seal it with fresh goop.
And look at the photo of that wheel. It looks like it hardly has any rust on it anywhere.
I am aware the tire mfrs call for wider wheels than we have if you want to use radials, but I've been getting away with using them for a whole lotta miles.
That wheel must have been a factory blooper.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote