View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 06:48 PM   #14
Ak Sourdough

Default Re: Radial tires again

I use 2 framing squares. Park on concrete, one square against the inside of the sidewall of each front tire with the long leg of each square on the floor and pointed at each other. I usually do the front side of the axle first, for no particular reason.

Just measure the distance across the squares, outside to outside. Move the squares to the rear sides of the tires and compare your numbers. You can also pick a place on the tread to measure from , just be certain you measure to the same place on the front and back side of the tires.

I like to move the car backward a few inches and then back to the same place without moving the steering wheel to measure after I make an adjustment to the length of the tie rod. That way I'm sure I've eliminated the springiness/tension of the rubber against the floor giving me a false reading.

Using squares lets you measure at spindle height on any car no matter what the engineers put between the tires.