View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 08:10 PM   #14
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: pulling/stuffing engine and tranny

If you want to remove the Ford-O-Matic trans without needing to remove the engine or PS components on a full-size car, you can do so without trouble.
Drain the trans fluid via the dipstick tube and completely remove the dipstick tube by taking out the top starter motor bolt (releasing the dipstick tube bracket). Disconnect the starter power cable and take the other two bolts out of the starter and remove the starter motor.
Jack up the front of the car and remove the front "half-moon" shaped inspection plate on the converter bellhousing. Remove all the converter to flexplate bolts by rotating the engine in small portions to get at the bolts till all are gone. Unplug the speedo cable from the trans and remove the intake air-duct (if air-cooled converter is on the car).
Disconnect the passing gear link and gear select rod from the trans lever.
Pull the driveshaft out by removing the 4 bolts at the rear U-joint yoke.
Jack up the front of the car more to get a floor jack under the trans. (I have mine fitted with a piece of 1/2" plywood for the trans pan to sit on).
Remove the bellhousing to engine bolts, then raise your jack against the trans pan. Remove 3 bolts on each side of the frame crossmember. The trans is now fully isolated and can be pulled back away from the engine enough to disengage the converter pilot from the engine crankshaft recess.
Now you should be able to lower your jack carefully with the transmission on it. As you lower (slowly), pull the trans forward with the rolling floor jack so that the converter bellhousing will slide under the engine and allow the trans rear extension housing to clear that last frame crossover piece. Once you have cleared that, you can lower the jack all the way to the floor and pull the jack with transmission out from under the car.
Whenever I have done it, I always place a big, heavy piece of cardboard on the floor of the garage under the car and pull the transmission off the jack and on to the cardboard, then slide the trans out from under the car on the piece of cardboard. Otherwise, you gotta have to front of the car raised dangerously high.
No need to do anything with engine mounts or anything regarding PS center link.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote