Thread: Car lift
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #15
RKS.PA

Default Re: Car lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
if your just using the lift to work on the car buy a two post with swing arms . a four post is much harder to adj brakes remove wheels for brake work greasing, oil change.

Richard, you are absolutely right about a 4 post and working on wheels. I have to have something called a "jack bar" or tray that goes across the wheel tracks. I have to jack up the front or rear, depending where I'm working and put jack stands under the axle etc. to lift the wheel I'm working on. It does add to the process! All other work...oil changes, greasing, etc. is about the same re access to where you need to be.

Here in AZ, they build using something called a "post tension" slab which means I have cables in the floor concrete that are under tension to keep the slab from cracking. You can't drill into this type to secure a lift, because if you sever a cable, it's like an explosion with shrapnel!

Thankfully my four post doesn't need to be bolted down to be stable and safe. I think the two post lifts do need to be bolted to the floor....but not sure about this.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote