View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #22
Hivolt5.0

Default Re: proper coil/distributor combination for '39

I just wanted to provide an update on the '39. I sent the distributor to Skip and he installed new points, rotor, rebuilt a coil and set up the distributor. While the distributor was out I removed all of the old wiring and may I say I'm surprised the car didn't burn to the ground. To say the wiring was bad is an understatement. Exposed wires, bad connections, cracks, multiple splices...it was bad. I installed a Rebel Wiring 6V harness and while running the wires I installed a few more ground points to make sure everything was grounded well. This weekend, after replacing the battery, the '39 fired up and ran beautifully. Skip's rebuilt distributor/coil worked flawlessly. I even loaded the family for 10 mile fun drive. This is the oldest car I've driven and it was a trip! I love it!

The only issues I have is the horn and dome light. Neither of them work.
- before the rewire, the horns would make a whimper. after the rewire, nothing. I think the problem is either the wire in the steering column or perhaps the connection in the headlight switch.
- as for the dome light, I'd really like to replace the wiring to them but I'm not sure how to that without messing up the headliner. Any ideas?

Thanks again for all of the help!
Hivolt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)