View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
kp

Default Re: Got the head off

I have the head off my 31 also,was throwing water out the radiator cap on a "Pull",had radiator rodded out ,used wire brush wheel on my Battery powered drill to clean carbon ,owner before me had installed head bolts,two of em broke off ,soaked 'em good with Penetrol and tapped on the top with hammer lightly and removed with Vise Grip pliers as there was about 1/2 inch sticking up from block ,Mixed me up some muriatic acid (50 percent water) and funneled into block ,after scraping inside the block with what ever would reach ,let it set for couple of hours and drained and flushed after using Bakeing soda to nutralize solution,have to be careful with muratic acid ,eye protection ect. Then I was amazed when I used a small magnet to remove gobs of scale from the block thru the water outlets,got the head resurfaced and gonna put it back together soon ,should end my water throwing problem,radiator has the baffel and I dont fill it up past it. Got a new set of head studs and nuts and the better head gasket they have at Snyders, also use anti seize grease on the threads into the block.
kp is offline   Reply With Quote