View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Car pre-puchase inspection checklist

I think the words "Reasonable Expectations" apply here for both the buyer and seller. Take for instance my Deluxe Delivery and the story behind it. I purchased the body along with a really rough 26 tudor body for $450. At the time I was torn between selling the body and keeping it as I was offered some real good money for it. I decided to keep it and sell the 26 body and my rdstr pu. About a year Dad got a phone call that someone was lookiing to sell a rather complete, but dissassembled 29 fordor for $1000. We went and looked and it had a complete chassis with a dissassembled 60-B body that we could not tell what was missing and what was there, but he had a title and said the engine ran. This car had been in his family since it was new and he and a friend had started to restore it. His defination of restore is different than mine, but not going into any details here other than the fact the chassis had been sandblasted and painted without anything taken apart. We decided to purchase it and he signed the title and we loaded the car up on the trailer and took it home. After we got it home we noticed that it was titled using the Briggs body tag not the engine or frame #'s that were matching. Dad and I are neither one interested in restoring a fordor anyway and we bought this hoping to make somewhat of a profit. Just for fun I ran the engine # through the state title records and we found they were never registered. After some discussion we decided that I could use the chassis for the delivery and Dad could sell the sheetmetal, title (which he still has) and other parts for his sharre of the profits.

Now for the fun about expectations, when I went to do the title bond the bonding company wanted to use the Blue Book value which was $12,500. I prefered to use the purchase price which was $450 which is one of the options in the DMV guidelines. Likely the true value lies somewhere in the middle, based on the condition and missing parts. So who's value was most reasonable? Likely theirs was closer, but mine was the cheapest and fit the guidelines so we went that way. I know I bought it all cheap. But not likely it is worth the Blue Book. Now if you were talking about a Blue Ribbon car the Blue Book is likely alittle low. So try to be reasonable. Rod