Thread: G28
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: G28

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Ron , Any chance of the engine number , Like to compare with known ones here. Thanks,
Derek, we also have one too. Ours and Ron's all came out of the same batch that was imported by Ken Miller about a decade or so ago. I will see if the serial number is legible.

Ours was supposedly a low/no mileage engine (that had been warehoused by the Forestry??) and while it had standard bore, it also had valve seats in the block. One of those seats was improperly installed (too loose) and it came out of the block when Dad was driving his Coupe back from the Great Race in 1999. We heard the noise and pulled over on the side of the Interstate. Fortunately I was following him and had a complete shop inside my hauler so we dismantled it there on the exit ramp, removed the broken valve seat pieces, ground the end of the valve so it would not open, cleaned everything up and then re-installed the head after removing the spark plug from the #3 cylinder. Dad drove it home from Illinois on the 3 good cylinders. Once it was home, the engine came back out, O/S intake valves along with modern pistons were installed as the original pistons in the block were split skirts. Dad then drove the car with that rebuilt G28T engine for about 1000 miles and then a different engine went into the Coupe. Soon thereafter I installed that G28T engine in a Model A race car (red one below) which I used for several years racing. It received plenty of punishment and high RPMs as I was pulling a 4.33 and 4.56 rear gear ratio on a ½-mile dirt track. Now it is out of that car and just setting. The left-over pieces such as the original downdraft intake manifold, the B-style cylinder head, etc. were recycled and initially used on Pennie's MobilGas speedster. I think the production date on that head is either 1957 or 1959.

My personal opinion is that these engines are a nice novelty with the lack of external main bearing bolts and the aluminum oil pan with the enclosed rear main, --and during the day (a decade or so ago) they were a large improvement over what was available but if Dad & I had it to do all over again today, we personally would probably not go that way again simply because of the good stuff that is available today such as a Stipe Cam, Burlington Crankshaft, Rich's new Rods and Inserts, and decent rear main seals that work. Just my 2 cents...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP01264.jpg (41.6 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg DCP01265.jpg (44.7 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg DCP012671.jpg (38.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg DCP012661.jpg (28.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Dsc00087r.jpg (109.1 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Dsc00187r.jpg (137.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg EngRS.jpg (117.8 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg EngineLS.jpg (109.3 KB, 143 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote