View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #10
blucar

Default Re: Electric fuel pump on '55 Bird

I have been running electric fuel pumps, in an aux mode on every old car, RV and boat since 1952.
Improves starting when the vehicle has been sitting for awhile, eliminates a vapor lock on a hot day and generally is cheap insurance to avoid fuel pump failure.
As a general rule the fuel pump should be located close to the fuel tank, electric pumps push better than they pull. It is also advisable to install a disposable fuel filter in the line before the electric pump.
It is recommended that an oil pressure switch be installed in the power source which prevents the electric pump from working if the engine is not running, however, the oil pressure switch eliminates the option to use the electric pump to improve starting when the vehicle has been sitting for a prolonged period.
***I generally use a toggle switch that has a light in the end or in the dash to alert me that the electric pump is on.
I have found that the Carter inline rotary pump works very well, this pump is sold by NAPA P74019, Car Quest E8012S. The pump works well with mechanical pumps, allowing fuel to be pulled through the electric pump for normal operation. DON'T PAY ANY ATTENTION TO THE PUMP PICTURE ON THE BOX.. It is a one size fits all packaging.
Care must be taken to make sure you purchase a pump that is friendly with modern alcohol based fuels. In the last couple of years I have had to replace the electric pumps on every vehicle I own.