View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 12:56 AM   #8
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Electric fuel pump on '55 Bird

Just my .02 cents, I would keep the mechanical pump and add an electric pump just to run for a few seconds to fill the carb float chamber after the engine has been sitting for a long time. Two reasons; first, since the electric pump would see very limited use, I would think that it would last indefinitely possibly. Second, if you only knew what a can of worms you might be diving into by changing to a non-stock pump. The output fuel pressure MUST not exceed the limitations of your teapot carb. If the fuel pressure output of the pump is too high, it will overcome the carb inlet needle and cause flooding. Then you are looking at adding yet another device to fix that, namely a fuel pressure regulator, for which you have to figure out where and how to mount and re-pipe. In the past, I have had very bad luck with even the best of brand names that make regulators. If highway driving is involved, you will be putting a lot of constant stress on the rubber diaphragm in the reg and they just don't last.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote