View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
29Cabriolet

Default Cleaning a Gas Tank

Hi:
Looking for some advice on how to effectively clean a gas tank. This tank is from a '29 which has the steering column support bracket riveted to the bottom wall of the tank. As with many, stress at this point has caused the area to weaken and develop a leak. The tank had already been repaired many years back what looks like a braze or solder job. Apparently that was inadequate because later, epoxy and other sealers were applied over that.

I've removed all the epoxy and am down to bare metal in that area. To redo the repair, I am considering brazing or soldering again (by someone more qualified for the task than me) but of course I want to be sure that the tank has expelled all gas fumes and won't explode! At the same time this is a good opportunity to clean out the inside of any rust or residue that may exist. Prior to removal the car had been driven all last season. I began this project in January, the first step of course was to drain the tank. So it has been empty, open and uncapped since then. What is the best way to do this?
Thanks!
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote